SSVFD Actively Recruiting Members
The Sandy Spring Volunteer Fire Department is actively recruiting new members. We offer 3 categories of membership: Auxiliary, EMT (Emergency Medical Technician Basic and Paramedic) and Firefighter/Rescuer. Those applying as a EMT or Firefighter/Rescuer will be required to undergo a physical (free of charge) and background check. No experience is needed, however members must be at least 17 year of age to apply.
- Most through the Maryland Fire Rescue Institute (University of Maryland, College Park).
- Most have college credits available upon successful completion of a class.
- High School Cadet Program
- Specialty Team Training Available (Hazmat, Water Rescue, Dive Team, USAR).
- Professional Development Training
- Retirement Benefits (LOSAP)
- Maryland State Tax Deduction of $3500
- Standby Food Program
- Scholarships and College Tuition Reimbursement
- Government and business discounts(county recreational facilities and ride on bus discounts)
- Free medical physicals. These are done annually, and have saved many lives from early detection
- Credit Union use
Volunteering is the Ultimate way to give back to your community! You will be saving and protecting the lives of your community while learning about teamwork and leadership in many different types of situations. This on the job training will serve you in many fields. You will get to meet many new people in a friendly, family oriented atmosphere.
If you are interested in joining, please fill out our application which can be found in the downloads section. Not sure this is for you? Find out what it is really like by doing a ride along! You will get to be with SSVFD on live calls and hang out at the firehouse and see what it is like! For more information or to schedule a ride along, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and the membership chair will contact you shortly.
“Volunteering… For the Experience of a Life Time!”
DOWNLOAD THE APPLICATION: SSVFD Membership Application-1